Original artist and artwork: Brian Bolland
. His work has been modified as per below.
The Dredd example page. 1536x4096 background of Judge Dredd and the Dark Judges, including Judge Fear gazing into the fist of Dredd. The particular width*height chosen to match current ipads.
This page has two purposes:
- Proof of concept with respect to graphic novel implementation via computer
- That a graphic novel can be divorced from its textual elements until the reader reaches them
(- the graphics here have had all text removed; the text is restored as the user clicks/taps on each frame)
- Ditto divorced from the constraints of page, such that it could unravel vertically (as in this case), or horizontally, or both;
(- the graphics represents two paper pages stitched one below the other)
- That artists can find new solutions for no-text, unbounded works
(- additional claustrophobia added by removing space previously taken up by the text, interframes, and page edges. Some elements have been expanded)
- That the text can be layered on top of the work such that they appear around the focus of each frame in turn, and that doing so:
- Does not detract from that focus
- May create a chronical revealing of the storyline, and can thus serve to implement a novel form of suspense
- Text is revealed by clicking/tapping on the focal points of each frame.
- Revealing text in each frame removes the text from the previous frame
- Test csi18n service will honour CORS (Cross-Origin Resource Sharing) requests.
- The csi18n service allows readers to contribute alternative translations from within any internet-connected product in a similar way to wikipedia allowing readers to contribute alternative knowledge
Adding pretty things like speech bubbles, callouts, artistic text etc ... maņana
- Alistair Mann